Hydrating and moisturizing are often used identically. But are they one of the same thing? No, they are not.
Hydrating means to increase water content in the body which makes your skin look healthy and supple. Whereas, moisturizing means to retain the water in your skin by preventing it to evaporate making it soft and smooth.
Both of them are extremely important for skin care. We shall discuss both hydrating and moisturizing in detail.
What is moisturizing and why is it important?
Moisturizer tends to create an outer protective layer on skin surface which prevents moisture loss. It results in making the skin smoother and softer. Moisturizing is essential to maintain an optimal level of moisture in skin for its look and feel.
Our skin acts as a barrier against infections. Therefore, it is important to keep our skin moisturized. If we allow our skin to get dry, it shall get cracked. Cracking causes breaks in the skin because of which bacteria on our skin can enter into our body through those cracks. These bacteria can cause harmful infections of skin as well as in our body.
Our skin needs to be protected from drying out so that we may protect ourselves from infection. No matter what skin type you may have, you need to use a suitable lotion which suits to your skin type, for moisturizing.
Advantages of Moisturizers:
Let us go through some of the basic functions of moisturizers and how they benefit us:
- A moisturizer suiting to your skin type, shall prevent your skin from drying and cure it.
- It helps in creating a temporary barrier between your skin and outer layer but retaining water in the outermost layer of the skin.
- A moisturizer helps the skin to protect its texture and tone. It takes care of the skin making it smooth and soft.
- A moisturizer also protects the skin from harmful effects like the harsh sunlight, wind and other external factors.
How to use a Moisturizer and when?
Certain timelines need to be maintained to apply moisturizer for best results.
- Let us start with mornings. Moisturizers having light viscosity can be used as a base for makeup. These help the makeup stay for a longer period of time.
- We often face the problems of dry hands. Applying moisturizer to hands after washing them keeps them soft.
- After drying your body following a bath, apply moisturizer as it helps to retain the moisture inside the skin as the skin is still moist. It shall absorb properly in the skin.
- After cleansing your face with a cleanser suitable to your skin type, apply moisturizer to it. Otherwise if you leave your skin like that for too long, it shall evaporate your skin’s natural moisture with it.
What kind of Moisturizers to use?
We all have different kind of skins and they all have different needs of moisturizing. A number of moisturizers are available in the market. Make sure to purchase those which suit your skin type.
Following is a brief list as to what moisturizer to go for, as per your skin type:
- Normal Skin – Water based moisturizer. Having non-greasy feel.
- Dry Skin – Oil based moisturizer, containing moisturizing ingredients.
- Oily Skin – Light moisturizer, which removes oil and dry out skin.
- Sensitive Skin – moisturizers having soothing ingredients like aloe vera, chamomile.
- Mature Skin – oil based moisturizers having antioxidants and petrolatum as base.