Why you should exfoliate your face
The skin constitutes millions of cells that perform crucial physiological functions. When these cells die, they accumulate on the skin surface, which leads to a build-up of dirt and oil. Worse still, it’s possible that you will develop acne due to blockage of skin follicles by the debris.
So how do I resolve this?
The truth is that you cannot prevent the accumulation of these dead cells! However, you can get rid of the debris by exfoliating your face. This facial treatment will remove the top layer of dirt and leave your skin glowing.
How to scrub your face
The most crucial exercise when scrubbing your face is the selection of the products to use. When selecting the facial products to use, you should be careful to choose those that are compatible with your skin.
Be extra careful to read the manufacturer’s instructions since they’ll always make different products for specific skin types.
For example, if you have dry skin, you should avoid products with benzoyl peroxide and retinoid as active ingredients. Instead, you can choose an exfoliator with mild glycolic acid. On the other hand, oily skin requires a product that combines both glycolic acid and salicylic acid.
Once you’re ready to use the products, you should follow the following steps:
- Clean your face using warm water. Avoid bar soaps since they have the potential to alter the pH balance of your skin. Also, ensure that your hands are absolutely clean before you embark on the exercise
- Using a clean spatula, apply the exfoliator on your face. Using your hands, spread the exfoliator around your face in circular motions
- Always be gentle when scrubbing to avoid ruining your skin further
- Immediately you’re done, you should rinse your skin using warm water. Pat your skin dry
- Apply a moisturiser to keep your skin moist
- If you need to move out immediately after the exfoliation process, it’s advisable that you apply sunscreen. Some skin types become highly sensitive to light after the scrubbing
The golden rule, when scrubbing your face, is ensuring that you’re gentle throughout the process.
How often should I exfoliate my face?
It’s crucial to note that over-exfoliating your face may cause more harm than good. In fact, when you overdo it, you’re exposing your skin to the risk of becoming excessively dry, irritated and thus, develop acne.
This is why:
When you excessively exfoliate the skin, you remove a significant amount of natural skin oils. As a result, your skin becomes dry, which triggers overproduction of sebum, thus complicating your fight with acne.
To avoid this, we recommend that you scrub your face just once every week. This will ensure that you get rid of the skin debris without necessarily exposing your skin to more harm.
When to talk to a professional
Sometimes, home exfoliation methods may not be sufficient to give you effective. long-lasting results. Check out facial promotions by aestheticians who are experienced and knowledgeable to advise the best facial treatments that are suitable for your condition.
Instead of physical exfoliators, you can benefit from resurfacing treatments that extracts impurities while exfoliating the skin at the same time. Similar to a facial extraction, such treatments use vortex extraction to eliminate blemishes such as sebum, blackheads and whiteheads painlessly. This can be highly beneficial to target skin concerns such as enlarged pores, fine lines, uneven skin tone and loss of skin firmness.